WHAT EXACTLY IS 3D VIRTUAL FASHION?
October 8, 2022
A new way of designing clothes.
As designers, we are all used to the traditional way of designing - It begins with a paper sketch which you hope your tailors can get right. Realistically they rarely do so you end up going back and forth before you get your final desired product. This process is ineffective and unnecessarily wasteful of one’s time and fabric (read: “money”). 3D fashion to the rescue!
With 3D virtual fashion tools, you can create true-to-life visuals of your designs with a virtual fit model to your specifications. This process uses zero fabric - say goodbye to rolls and rolls of sample fabric! It also allows you to make tons of mistakes without the burden of financial and material repercussions. Unlike in 2D design, 3D design allows you to see the fit, flow and fabric placement of a garment before you create the physical product.
What you will need to create a virtual garment sample:
- An avatar. This will be your virtual fit model and it can be created using the exact measurements of your IRL fit model. (height, bust, waist, hip, etc)
- Sewing Patterns. These can be imported into software programs or can be created directly in the software.
- Fabric type, prints, graphics if applicable.
- 2D sketch with annotations or reference images of existing designs
Based on this information, the 3D designer will create a true-to-life representation of your design, where you will be able to look at silhouette, fit and fabric movement. You will be able to see where a garment will be too tight or loose, where there is gaping, where there is sagging of fabric–something that previously would only be seen after making the first physical sample. With 3D/Virtual Fashion tools, unlimited changes can be made at this point. This process eliminates fabric and time waste.
It doesn't end there! Once you have your final virtual garment there is more you can do with it
- Sell your garment before you actually produce it (Pre-ordering)
- Print the sewing patterns to make your first physical sample
- Grade the patterns in less than 5 minutes to make larger or smaller sizes.
- Create Content
- Sell a digital garment/NFT
- Create an archival lookbook
Contact us for more information on how you can use virtual fashion to simplify and speed up your product development process.